Save Indian Family – Karnataka chapter
We, counsellors, keep on advising victims who choose to attend the weekly meetings and accept our advice to call the police emergency number – 100 in the following situations.
-In-laws come to your place of residence, place of work, accost you on the road
-Police come to the above places because of your in-laws have bribed them or used some kind of influence to put pressure on you to do their bidding against your will and judgement
-Unknown people or relatives of in-laws come to the above places and are threatening you
Now the important question is why would you call 100 and what would you achieve by doing so?
Let me answer the question of why:
– You will use the system against the people who are using unjust, gender biased laws to suppress you
– Your call will be recorded and it has to be as per the law of the land. This gives you the opportunity to file RTI to retrieve the records later to prove that these incident happened. In short, you have documentary proof from the department of police, specifically, the police control room.
Coming to the question of what would you achieve by calling 100:
– You would put the fear of police in them- whether they are your in-laws, police coming to your place illegally, their over active relatives out to teach you a lesson, or hired goons
– You send a clear message that you are strong enough to stand up to them
– You will not surrender to their legal, social and mental terrorism
In the end a word of caution, Please do not think that you would achieve or will get immediate relief. Things fall in their place in due course of time but you have to take the first step and call 100 when your life or interests are in danger.